Luxor Temple Facts
Within the ancient city of “Thebes” lies the purest vision of elegance and wonder, and the world’s largest and most magical Outdoor Museum “Luxor Temple“. The temple was built in 1400 BCE during Egypt new Kingdom in the reign of Amenhotep III (1390-1352 BC) of the 18th dynasty and completed by Tutankhamun (1336-1327 BC) and Horemheb (1323-1295 BC) under the name ipet resyet which means “The Southern Sanctuary”. It was also enlarged and expanded by King Ramses II (1279-1213 BC). Luxor temple was the center of the political and religious aspects of Thebes. It was dedicated to the God Amun of the Theban Triad with Mut and Khonsu and the temple was the annual location for the Opet Festival where the three statues of Amun, Mut, and Khonsu are transferred from Karnak temple to the Luxor Temple, to highlight the concept of rebirth. The temple stature falls through time but the glory days of Amenhotep where once restored By Alexander the Great in 320 BC where it became the center of the Roman emperor cult.
Luxor Temple History
Luxor temple is one of the most visited landmarks in Egypt, which you can when you visit Egypt due to its excellent preserved condition and intact beautiful carvings and the rare phenomenon of having only two pharaohs leaving a significant mark on its architectural structure. The temple contains several pylons that can reach 70 yards long. The entrance of the temple is in the north and is lined a Sacred Way Known as Avenue of Sphinxes. The temple contains a peristyle courtyard dating back to Amenhotep which holds the best-preserved columns on the eastern side while the southern side is made up of 32 columns that leads to the inner sanctums which were used as a chapel during the Roman times. Luxor temple also holds a birth shrine built by Amenhotep III and a barque shrine to be used by Amun built by Alexander. Ramses II constructed a pylon which shows two towers at the height of 24m and the wide of 65m that is decorated with his military expeditions and victory at the battle of Kadesh.